At the beginning of the year, we often think about dieting or even detoxing to clean our body from all the excess food and drinking that we all indulge in over the holidays. Yet, we less rarely think about detoxing or cleansing our skin. Yet, our skin too needs a break at least from time to time from all the chemicals, parabens, petro-chemicals, artificial colours and synthetic fragrances that it absorbes the rest of the year. Thanks for us, a skin detox is way easier than a body detox. ;)
Here are my recommended skin detox products from John Masters, the big guru of luxury organics beauty (when you read their products guidelines*, you understand why..)!
Daily Cleanse: The Bearberry Oily Skin Balancing Face Wash
This cleanser utilises 20 oil-fighting extracts and citrus oils to create a powerful astringent and cleanser: willow bark extract from the Swiss Alps reduces pore size and alpha hydroxiy acids exfoliate dead skin cells to leave the skin fresh and clean. 26,30eur.
Weekly or Bi-Weekly Cleanse: The Jojoba & Ginseng Exfoliating Face Cleanser
A wonderful combination of herbal extracts and plants & essential oils to stimulate circulation and re-oxygenerate and nourish the skin! The jojoba beads break away dirt and oil without scratching the skin, while ginseng, a natural astringent, improves blood circulation and revitalizes and reduces fine lines. To do once or twice a week. Leaves skin feeling clean, smooth and firm. 32,70eur.
Moisturise and Improve: The Pomegranate Facial Nourishing Oil
This product is more than a moisturiser, it is a super blend of 14 plants & essential oils. Pomegranate oil, (a potent source of punicic & linolenic acids which improves skin elasticity and reduces wrinkles), Evening Primrose oil (anti-inflammatory), Rosewood oil (naturally rejuvenates dry, dull skin), Sage (a cellular stimulant), Olive oil (antioxidants), Geranium oil (balances oily and dry skin) and many more. A great product to use in winter to deeply hydrate your skin, stimulate blood circulation and calm irritation. Use it alone for an intensive treatment or mix with a face or body cream. I like to use it as a night treatment, massaging it on my face a few minutes just before going to bed. The smell is addictive. 35,70 eur.
Products are available online (and in Milan, on sales at the Rinascente)
- all products must be made with 70-100% organic content,
- no sodium lauryl sulfate, parabens, DEAs, MEAs, or TEAs,
- no GMOs (Genetically Modified Organism),
- no animal testing,
- no artificial colors, fragrances or fillers,
- all essential oils used must be steam-distilled and not extracted with propylene glycol (which kills the effect of the oils),
- all plant oils must be cold pressed, not heat distilled (which kills the therapeutic properties of plant oils),
- all ingredients must be proven to be beneficial to the hair or skin,
- all ingredients must be harvested in an environmentally-friendly manner (wild-crafted) and
- all ingredients must be bio-degradable as possible.